Question
Posted by: Eve | 2011/10/11

Dietician or weight watchers?

I have been on the Dr Cohen diet twice and have done it recently to lose a bit of weight that i gained during the Dec holidays, but now since i have come off the diet (about 3 months) i have picked up that weight that i lost and i am feeling very uncomfortable in my body. I constantly feel bloated and tired and very moody, i keep blaming the Mirena. I am now thinking of going to a dietician to learn how and what to eat or to go join weight watchers, it is quite difficult staying on a healthy eating plan especially with my family. my parents stay with me and constantly buy and make the food (which is very helpful but not healthy for me) and my husband doesnt eat any veg and i feel like I am in a total rut and get irritated, i wasnt blessed with a great metabolism genes either. Please help. Thank-you

Dear Eve
From what you say, I do think it would be a good idea if you got some professional help to lose weight seeing that the two bouts of using the Dr Cohen diet have not achieved permanent weightloss. Both options (consulting a dietitian or joining Weight Watchers), are good ideas and will lead to improved dietary intake and weightloss. You need to decide if you are the type of person who will do well with weekly group support or if you can manage on your own for longer periods of time. If you need regular support then Weight Watchers is probably the best option for you. If you can put the advice of a dietitian into practice then do consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). When you go to see the dietitian, discuss the issues you have mentioned (parents buying and making food, husband who does not eat vegetables, etc), so that she/he can give you guidance on how to overcome these problems. To rev up your metabolism, do consider becoming more active. Join Walk for Life or a good gym and do a brisk session at least 3 times a week.

1

Dear Eve