Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-06

I am an obese 27 year old woman (140 kg). I recently started doing low impact aerobics each day in conjunction with walking far and fast. I also follow a low GI eating plan. I have lost 6 kg during the 3 weeks I' ve been busy and I' m feeling much better. My workout lasts between 30 and 40 minutes and I usually walk for 40 to 50 minutes. Is this a good enough routine to continue weight loss? Also, is it normal to be completely exhausted and unable to keep my eyes open by 21h00 or should I be full of energy?

It might be that you've just cut down too much. The fatigue is not completely unexpected, which I guess is good news. It's partly because your body is not used to the training, and so you will be tired. Add to this that your diet is probably not giving you the energy you need to keep your energy levels up, and you're fading by 9. That's not sustainable in the very long term, but for now, it might be a phase that will go away soon.

I would see how it goes in the next few days, and if you find that it still affects you, then you need to look at your diet. If you're fading by 9, then it's often because you are energy deprived from training and that means the timing of your meals is important. Perhaps you need to move your meal an hour back and just make sure you're not running on empty by 9 pm.

Other than that, this will hopefully go away in time, as you adapt and get fitter. You can of course cut down on exercise slightly, maybe by 10 minutes on that walk and see what it does. Even if it's only for two weeks, just to get steady again.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-12

Thanks guys, helpful advice!

Posted by: Leeane | 2009-08-10

Well if it' s been working for you then it' s good? And it normal to be tired if you' re doing extra exercise and reducing calorie intake.

Reply to Leeane