Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2010/07/16

diete

Hi diete doctor,

Just want to know i had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and picked up alot off weigt. I tried everrything exec ect. I feel very down and out and need HELP I need to loos some weight PLEASE.

Dear Melanie
If the hysterectomy you had 3 years ago also entailed removal of your ovaries, then the resultant lack of female hormones could be associated with weight gain. Are you taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT)? HRT can either cause weight gain or loss depending on the individual patient. If you are taking HRT, please discuss the weight gain with your dr who is prescribing the HRT. On the other hand some women develop depression when they undergo a hysterectomy. Depression can also cause pronounced weight gain or loss depending on the individual patient. If you think that depression may be a factor in your case (you mention that you feel very down), please consult a clinical psychologist to help you with this condition. To lose weight, reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day.
I hope you can sort out what is causing your weight gain and start losing now.

1

Dear Melanie