Posted by: Lente | 2010-07-31

Dietary requirements when on Femara

I''m 68 and on Femara after a mastectomy last year. Is there something specific that I should be eating to cut down on the side-effects of this medication? Specifically joint pain and stiffness.

Dear Lente
I am sorry to hear that you have had a mastectomy. It is important that post-mastectomy patients should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will have to provide you with a diet prescription that helps you to counteract some of the negative effects of the medication (including raised cholesterol levels) and helps you recover fully. Please see a dietitian as soon as possible.