Question
Posted by: Joe | 2010/03/04

Diet vs training?

hi doc.

i''m 25 year old guy and in the process/want to build muscle (entering 3rd month now). am about 174cm and weigh 63kg.

I do weight training twice a week (one day upper body and second day lower body) for bout hour an half each day. I''m not seeing results as quickly as i''d like to. i train

my question, do you think my training is sufficient? how will i know whether the problem is due to my training (either not enough, incorrect, etc.) or my diet (not eating enough).

please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Dear Joe,

Building muscle or gaining usually requires 2 changes; first of all you need to do enough training for your muscles to grow. Weight training only twice a week for about a half an hour is a good start, but unfortunately not enough if you want to "bulk up". I would suggest to try and up your training to 4 times a week and reaching for a goal of 45 minutes per training session. Try to increase your training slowly and not all at once, as you will increase your risk of injury.

The second important change is to make sure you eat enough for your muscles to get bigger (and not for the fat stores to increase!). The way muscles ge bigger is by breaking them down during weight training and then they "rebuild" stronger after the training session. THis "rebuilding" of the muscle is predominantly fueled by your dietary intake.

It is important to eat some food that contains carbohydrate and protein about 1 hour before your workout (e.g. a chicken sandwhich), to drink some form of carbohydrate during your workout (e.g. energade / powerade) and probably THE MOST important is to consume some food that contains carbohydrate and protein within a half hour after your training session. This will ensure adequate refuelling and growth of your muscles. This does not have to be a fancy supplement - something like a yogi sip or milo drink or chocolate steri stumpi provides the perfect carbohydrate:protein ratio for recovery!

A dietician specializing in sport nutrition can help you by working out a specific meal plan to ensure you gain the muscle you want to! :-)

Good luck!
Kind Regards,
Sunita

1
Posted by: Sports Nutrition | 2010/03/07

Dear Joe,

Good luck!
Kind Regards,
Sunita

Reply to Sports Nutrition