Question
Posted by: Joe | 2010/03/04

Diet vs training?

hi doc.

i''m 25 year old guy and in the process/want to build muscle (entering 3rd month now). am about 174cm and weigh 63kg.

I do weight training twice a week (one day upper body and second day lower body) for bout hour an half each day. I''m not seeing results as quickly as i''d like to. i train

my question, do you think my training is sufficient? how will i know whether the problem is due to my training (either not enough, incorrect, etc.) or my diet (not eating enough).

please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Dear Joe
Your weight is still quite low and your present BMI = 20,8 which is considerably less than that of someone with a high muscle content (one would expect you to have a BMI of at least 24 and weigh 72 kg). You are doing the correct type of exercise because to build muscles you need to concentrate on working with weights, but I think you should try and fit in one more session per week even if it a shorter session with rest days in between to allow your muscles to recover. Now one of the most difficult facts for all individuals who are trying to build muscles to understand, is that it takes TIME for your body to build up muscle tissue. So give your body a chance. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain more info on diets for sportsmen/women. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. You will see that you need to increase your carbohydrate intake to fuel your exercise and eat moderate amount of low-fat protein (don't overdo the protein) to get the best results.
Good luck with the training

1

Dear Joe
Good luck with the training