Question
Posted by: Joe | 2010-03-04

Diet vs training?

hi doc.

i''m 25 year old guy and in the process/want to build muscle (entering 3rd month now). am about 174cm and weigh 63kg.

I do weight training twice a week (one day upper body and second day lower body) for bout hour an half each day. I''m not seeing results as quickly as i''d like to. i train

my question, do you think my training is sufficient? how will i know whether the problem is due to my training (either not enough, incorrect, etc.) or my diet (not eating enough).

please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Hi Joe

You never really know, it's a difficult one, and so you have to kind of commit to making sure both are working perfectly!

That means that with regards to the diet, your best bet is to see a dietician and have them assess what you're eating, how often, how much, and so on. The key is to eat enough of the right things to stimulate muscle development. You can't just eat like crazy, and it's not true to overload on the protein either, so there's a balance.

In terms of training, my initial thought is that you might need to add days of training, maybe a third day or even a fourth where you do another upper and another lower body session. Or else maybe run your training on a 10 days cycle, not a weekly one, where you do 2 sessions of each per 10 days.

What you do in the session is also important. Heavy lifting is the way to go, but obviously not excessively.

Remember that it will take a while - you don't build muscle overnight, it takes months of effort, and so you may be doing everything right, but just need more time!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-03-11

Hi Joe

Reply to fitnessdoc