Posted by: SB | 2012-05-25

Diet to aid conception

Can you advise what is a good diet to follow to ensure my body is healthy to conceive? Or can you give me a link to find one?

I am desperately trying to conceive so I want to do everything possible to help prepare my body.

Dear SB

There is no specific fertility or pregnancy diet. In general a balance diet consisting of adequate protein and vitamin intake should suffice provided there is no mal-absorption or intestinal problems that may affect the absorption of such nutrients. A diet rich in iron, folic acid and selenium together with omegas is usually recommended but it is not necessary to add supplements unless you cannot obtain theses nutrients through the natural means. Taking in very large quantities of vitamins may actually be harmful in certain instances as these vitamins will overload the system and in particular put strain on the liver and kidneys and therefore it is advisable to refrain from over use of supplements.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Prudence | 2012-05-30

Personally, I would stick to a healthy diet, cut caffeine, smoking &  alcohol. Supplement with prenatal vitamins with folic acid ASAP, reduce stress, just relax &  have fun

Reply to Prudence