Posted by: De Bron | 2009-04-14

Diet / Supplements???

I was very tired this easter weekend, I am taking twice a day an iron tablet from when I had irregular periods. I have just turned 40 in March 2009 and have a daily deadline driven job that is stressing me alot, than there is the traffic/rush to work and back home to pick up the kids as early as possible to have more time for homework (2kids: 1 is in grade 1 and the other in grade 4), I have a husband, but he is not interested in helping with homework. The both their teachers complained end of last term, and I know it is because I am not spending enough time with them separately. Weekends is out of the question, because i am doing washing, cleaning, cooking, shopping etc. - no social life. I also try to cook fresh vegetables every 2/3 night, otherwise I am making frozen veggies. My husband don' t think the kids eat right, maybe he is right, because I am also feeling lethargic. I am not sure which supplements to take either, I use to take Bestum during winter times, but it will not help me with energy. At the moment I am drinking coffee (not actually coffee drinker,drink only rooibostea, and have added green tea to it).
Do I need a detox? I eat apple and yogurt and 2 slices of brown bread everyday for lunch and like to drink hot drinks inbetween.
Please advise and also how to improve the situation with my family what the foods is concern. I am trying to quick things in the evening, because we' re all hungry when we get home.
Thank you. De Bron

Dear De Bron
No wonder you are tired if you have such a dreadful full schedule, so much stress and no one to help you. Some of your tiredness may also be due to depression because of your impossible situation. And an iron deficiency could also be contributing. I would recommend that you do a number of things: a) have a medical checkup just to determine if you don't suffer from iron deficiency that can cause anaemia which causes extreme exhaustion - also discuss the possibility of depression with your dr. The dr will prescribe iron supplements and an antidepressant is necessary which should both help. b) Ask your husband to sit down with you so that you can talk through this situation and that you can get his help with the children AND the housework. Point out to him that you are about to collapse and if that happens he will in any case have to take over everything, so that it is better to start sharing these burdens now when you are still capable of functioning. c) Consider if you can't change your job or lighten the load somehow?? this daily deadline story puts too much pressure on you. d) Don't what ever you do try to detox because detoxing is not necessary and can put even more stress on you right now. e) Regarding family meals, there is no problem with making quick, easy meals and using products like frozen veg to make your life easier. Give them a starch (cook in microwave) plus meat or fish (including canned fish) with a salad or frozen veg and fruit for afters. Plan your meals so that you only need to cook every 2nd day - e.g. make a big pot of tomato mince and use it one night with spaghetti and the rest for another meal with rice, etc. A good all round supplement is Supradyn Forte.
I sincerely hope that you can improve this situation because no one, not even Superwoman would be able to sustain this type of stress and not collapse.

Posted by: De Bron | 2009-04-18

Thank you, very much. Will start working on your suggestions immediately, except the part to talk to my husband, I have talk to him so many times about helping me, it just ends up in an argument. I have given up talking long time ago. To prove to you why there is no hope for him helping me, he told my son (6 year old) one morning after I left that Daddies don' t give medicine, only mommies and 2 weeks ago when I was late one morning, I asked him to dish up the mealie porridge for the kids, my daughter told me the evening he asked her to rather my sandwiches for them to eat for breakfast.

The second thing is, I have just started this job end of February09, it is my first permanent job since we moved here in December 2006, I really want to do my best. Have stayed in PE before, now in CT and the traffic is what I find difficult to get use to.

I really appreciate your advice, I have started to think I am a bad mother/wife for not doing everything I' m suppose to do.

I am grateful that we have people like you and health24. thank you.

May you be blessed for all the good advice you are giving to people all over SA.

Reply to De Bron