Question
Posted by: Nicholas | 2012/02/08

DIET SPECIFIC WEBSITE

Good afternoon,

My Dad has very high Cholesterol and I was wondering if a website or book exists where specific subjects are covered in great detail and a breakdown of what food he can eat and a list of food he shuld have much less of and what food he cant eat at all.

I would prefer a website that I could suggest hegoes to but I have no idea if such a thing exists. My Dad likes fatty food he completely dislikes vegtables he has always been that way. Is there a step by step process that we could follow which will not shock hes system and idea of eating healthy? Hes 56 and very stubborn and although this will sound silly this whole diet change will complicate hes life and make him unhappy to a certain extent.

I hope you can help.
Kind regards,

N.DUNNETT

Dear Nicholas
I think your Dad is lucky to have a son who is so considerate and caring. I am going to outline the basic principles of what the diet to lower cholesterol entails and then direct you to some parts of the Health24.com Website which will provide you with a lot of information.
If your Dad suffers from high cholesterol, then he would need to lower his intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower his cholesterol levels he will basically have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where he can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if he does not need to lose any weight he can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. He needs to check the foods he buys in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 3g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. He should if possible rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when he eats processed foods. He can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If he requires a specific diet to be worked out for him, then I would recommend that he should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian would be able to guide your Dad through the various stages of improving his diet.
I do hope that you Dad will cooperate with you and lower his cholesterol levels.

1

Dear Nicholas