Question
Posted by: carri | 2009/12/02

Diet post total thyriodectomy

Hi there doc,
I have been diagnosed with thyriod cancer and a total thyriodectomy has to be done, I was wondering whether I should be following a specific eating plan after my thyriod is removed?

Dear Carri
I am sorry to hear that you require a total thyroidectomy because of thyroid cancer. The thyroid is an important gland that as been compared to the "conductor" of the "orchestra of the body" because it controls so many metabolic processes. Your physician/surgeon will advise if you can or cannot take thyroid hormone replacement therapy to keep your metabolism normal. I would recommend that you also discuss both the cancer and the lack of thyroid hormone with a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a specific diet prescription for your condition which prevents weight gain and also builds you up to combat the cancer.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

1

Dear Carri
Wishing you a speedy recovery