Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2011-10-11

Diet - Pls advise

Hi there,

I am trying to lose weight, and have 5 months to lose atleast 10kgs.. I dont know if its possible or not.
I am on Eltroxin for under active thyroid, and im 27 years old.
I weigh 78 kgs.

Please kindly answer the following questions for me?
1. I do cardio (orbitrek) for roughly 20 mins every day. Is this good enough? or must i do cardio less often, and make it 30 mins.

2. I eat fruit salad (apple, pear, pawpaw and strawberries) with In shape fat free yogurt for breakfast, and then again for lunch. Is this a good idea?

3. i eat snacks like those small round chinese rice cakes (pizza flavour) and i also snack on special k bars in between. must i stop snacking on these altogether and only focus on the fruit? and then eat veg for dinner?

Do you have any advise for me with regards to what to eat and how much to eat to lose this much weight in 5 months??

Warm Regards,

Kelly

Dear Kelly
In most cases it should be possible to lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week, so in 5 months (approx. 20 weeks) your goal of losing 10 kg is attainable. Please check with your dr if your Eltroxin dose is still correct for you. You don't mention your height in meters so I can't work out if you are overweight or not, but if you are, then the diet you describe should make you lose a great deal of weight. You don't mention if you are a lacto-vegetarian or not? I presume you are because you do not refer to eating any meat, fish or eggs? As I just mentioned to Shelley, the previous Reader, it may also be a good idea to ask your medical dr to check if you are not suffering from insulin resistance (IR) in addition to your hypothyroidism. If you do have IR then please consult a registered dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. I would recommend that you see a registered dietitian because you may develop deficiency diseases (iron, zinc, omega-3) if you don't eat any meat, fish or eggs for long periods of time. It helps a lot to do daily exercise for 30 min, so please do continue withe Orbitek, just make sure that you are really doing a cardio workout (increased heartbeat, working up a sweat, etc).
Good luck with losing those 10 kg

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-11

Dear Kelly
Good luck with losing those 10 kg