Question
Posted by: mj | 2010-07-20

diet pills

hi there, does med aid cover diet pills prescribed as in reductil ect and which is best am 45kg over weight? thank you

Dear MJ
I really can't tell if the specific medical aid you belong to would or would not pay for slimming pills. You will have to ask your medical aid representative before you contemplate using the slimming pills. In some cases, the medical aid may permit you to claim such meds if your doctor motivates that you require the treatment because you obesity is threatening your health. Your doctor will also have to evaluate you before prescribing any of the pharmacological diet pills because if you have any heart, blood pressure or circulatory problems, any medication that contains sibutramine (like Reductil or Ciplatrim), is contra-indicated. Xenical which prevents absorption of fat from the diet may be a better option, but you still need to be monitored by a medical dr and you also need to use an energy-reduced low-fat diet and some form of exercise (possibly swimming) to promote weightloss.

3
Posted by: mj | 2010-07-21

thanx for info... was put on cortizone for 6years tis the side effects.. so am huge swollen:-(

Reply to mj
Posted by: MeMee | 2010-07-20

Not that I know of. My med aid totally refused as they say that its not a chronic illness. Unless you are way over-over weight and have to go through the " something by-pass" ... then I think with some health motivation from your doctor, they do consider. But I stand under correction.
Good Luck  -)

Reply to MeMee
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-20

Dear MJ