Question
Posted by: Disappointed | 2009/11/26

Diet not working

Hi there,

I am 1.78 and weigh 120. I have poor eating habits. Eating once or twice daily. My diet included fried chicken take aways, hamburgers and pizza and roughly ten cups of coffee a day with two spoons of sugars.

I have changed my diet eleven days ago. I now drink two to three cups of coffee with full cream milk, four to five cups of black rooibos tea. I use sweetener and have had no sugar in the past eleven days. I drink ten or more glasses of water every day.

Breakfast is either two boiled eggs or 100 –  150 ml of plain yogurt (low fat). Lunch is either 100gram of chicken (boiled) with two tea spoons of light mayonnaise, two cracker breads, and half a tomato, or 100grams of cheese and 100grams of lettuce with two cracker bread.

Supper is 100grams of chicken, two cracker bread and half a tomato or 150 grams of spinach. The chicken is cooked on spray and cook, or steamed with a little bit of water. I use no butter / margarine / cooking oil.

I eat two apples daily and never eat after nine in the evenings. I take vitamins after breakfast.

I exercise on a mini trampoline for five minutes a day. I have done this during the passed five days.

If I understand correctly, then I need to consume 3000 calories a day to maintain my weight.

I did not take an exact measurement of my weight before I changed the diet as I believe this can fluctuate quite a bit and was told to rather measure my abdomen to see results. In order to keep things simple, I took one measurement only. My stomach area is still the same size.

Why is it not getting smaller?

Dear Disappointed
You don't mention if you are a man or woman, but I am going to assume that you are a man, because you are tall and seem to have a very high energy intake of 3000 kcal/day? Correct me if I am wrong.
Firstly your energy intake is still too high for weightloss. It is recommended that adult men reduce their calorie intake to 2000 kcal per day (women to 1500 kcal/day) to achieve steady weightloss of about 0,5 to 1 kg per week. Secondly you are evidently using a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet and high protein intakes are usually associated with high fat intakes which increase your energy intake. I would recommend that you use fat-free milk and yoghurt, smaller portions of the chicken (without skin, white meat only, vary it with white fish or tuna canned in water) and only have one egg instead of 2 for breakfast. Thirdly you have not done exercise for more than 5 days and then for only 5 min a day. The latest international recommendations are that individuals who need to lose weight should do 30 to 60 min of aerobic exercise (brisk walking, jogging, cycling, or skipping) every day to stimulate their metabolism. Try to increase how long you jump on the trampoline as you get fitter and add another aerobic exercise like brisk walking or skipping to make up the 30 min and later on, the 60 min a day. You can weigh yourself once a week and track your abdominal measurements at the same time because some weeks you will lose kg and other weeks you will lose cm. Please keep in mind that it can take a while for your body to adjust to this new regimen and that you need time to lose weight.

7
Posted by: Disappointed | 2009/11/30

Thank you Jess!

Reply to Disappointed
Posted by: Gloria Jean | 2009/11/29

I find that eating legumes with a salad everyday for lunch certainly does help with weightloss,the red beans are the best.
Try to vary your meals also by not always saving the heavy meal for the evening eg.swop lunch and supper.

Reply to Gloria Jean
Posted by: Jess | 2009/11/27

Don' t give up just yet! it takes time.

the other thing which i have to disagree with is the benefit of measuring your stomach to see results. I' m a girl, so weight distribution is likely to be different, but i know that when i first dieted the weight came off my arms and chest and face LONG before it came off my tummy and hips. so you may be losing weight without actually realising it!

Also, I found it useful to change my whole attitude to weight. I stopped focussing on my weight and began thinking a lot about a healthy life style. When I started thinking about what I needed to do to be healthy it became so much easier, because that includes a healthy amount of exercise (quick walking is great and an excellent way to have some time to yourself too), healthy amount of food, a balanced diet, I also started getting interested in reading the labels on food and reducing artificial rubbish i was taking in. Included in all this was doing things like giving myself tiem to relax and taking a class in something or just reading more. when it becomes about looking after yourself so you' re healthy adn happy you won' t notice the weight so much and next thing you know it' ll be gone!

Also, a nice alternative to meat if you' re not a fish fan and are getting bored with chicken is beans.. baked beans or broad beans or soya beans (edamame is delicious!) all low GI and low fat and healthy. I think around 120g is acceptible per serving, but i stand to be corrected.

good luck!

Reply to Jess
Posted by: L | 2009/11/27

Dissappointed

The following are the reasons why you have not lost weight:

1. You are not doing enough exercise. Exercise 45minutes everyday, iclude jogging in ur exercise.
2. Your diet is not ok. Check " Diet and nutrition"  articles on top.
3. You need to eat 6 small healthy and balanced meals everyday. eg7h00 Breakfast: All Bran flakes with fat free milk +Apple, 10h00: 2 provitas + low fat cottage cheese . 13h00: Grilled chicken salad . 15h00: Orange/Mango/Banana 18h00: 2 baked potatoes, Grilled Steak,and Boiled Peas. 20h00: Fruit.

Drink 2 litres of water daily. Limit ur sugar intake on ur coffee. Drink 2 cups of coffee/rooiboos daily in addition to ur 2l of water.

4. You need to give urself at least 3 weeks before u start seeing results.

All the best

Reply to L
Posted by: Disappointed | 2009/11/27

Hi Doc,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am a guy. Sorry for not mentioning that. I may have not explained correctly, but by my calculations I consume about 1000 calories a day. I meant, that I understand that I need to consume 3000 calories per day to maintain my weight, which is not what I am doing.

I am only excercising for 5 minutes as pervious times, I tend to overdue it, which made me sick or got me injured and resulted in me not being able to excercise every day. I am a very competitive indivdidual so I really need to constrain myself to five minutes. The idea is to increase the amount of time spend on the trampoline every week.

I only eat deboned, skinless chicken filltets. I hate fish and cannot eat it. Frankly, I cannot stand the smell. I will decrease the eggs, I have been wondering about that.

I live on at small holding, so I do walk a lot, but will try to increase this as well.

I basically want to know why I haven' t lost weight if I consumed only 10, 000 calories over 10 days. Taking into consideration how much calories are needed just to keep my organs functioning.

Thanks again.

D

Reply to Disappointed

Hi Disappointed
The Diet didnt work cause you didnt make it work .You have to do the diet for 6 weeks without cheating to see the results .you exercise 5 minutes ? that is hardly any exercise girl , you need to exercise 25 minutes per day to be able to see results .

You cant say the diet has failed if you have not followed the diet to the T without cheating for 6 weeks , You cant say that .
Also you cant say the has failed you if dont exercise and drink 2 litres per day , 5 minutes exercise is plain laziness .

I used to say I have treid every diet under the sun and they all failed me .thats was a load of crap from my side cause I did the diets for a week and stopped , then I would say the diet has failed me whereas I was the one who failed it .I mean use common sense , how can u lose weight with dieting for a week and stop ?

This kind of mentality is the problem for lazy fat people (I used to be one of those LAZY FAT PEOLPLE ) until I did the diet for 12 weeks and exercised and drank water everyday and didnt cheat , thats when I lost weight .You need to get rid of that mentality to lose weight , you have to push yourself .the first 3 weeks of gym was HELL , my body was aching all over BUT I did it for 12 weeks ad it worked .

Dont tell me the diet has failed you .You have failed it .Do it for 12 weeks and exercise 25 minutes 4 times a week(Increasing the time every 3 weeks ) AND IF YOU DONT SEE RESULTS , THATS WHEN YOU CAN SAY THE DIET HAS FAILED YOU .

Dear Disappointed