Question
Posted by: Reinette | 2011/04/20

DIET/ METABOLIS

Hi, I would like to know what is a very good diet to boost metabolism and to break off excess fat, I have high blood pressure and my heart rate goes up very quickly , thus I can''t do extreme exercise. I''m not loosing wait and I think I have water in my legs.
It seems like I''m setting out in my belly, bum, thighs and legs the most. I''m not sure what causes the water though.

Dear Reinette
The best way of stimulating your metabolism is to do regular exercise. The latter does not need to be extreme, but it does need to be regular, like going for a walk in the fresh air or swimming, or cycling on a stationary bike for 30 min a day. If you have high blood pressure and are retaining water, then I would like to suggest that you have another medical checkup and ask the dr about the water retention, what is causing it and what to do about it. When you see the dr also ask him/her if you are allowed to do any form of exercise seeing that you have such high bp. I would also like to recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a slimming diet that also lowers your bp, like the so-called DASH Diet. But because of the water retention you should first see the dr and then the dietitian, so that you can tell the dietitian about the cause of the water retention. The DASH Diet (click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension'), was developed in the USA to lower bp. This diet is high in calcium and low in sodium which should lower your bp. It is also low in fat and high in fibre and protective nutrients, which should promote weightloss. But please first see the dr and then the dietitian.

1

Dear Reinette