Question
Posted by: Mary-Ann De Wet | 2012/01/29

Diet how much calories per day to lose weight

I am trying to lose weight, I am 44yrs old, FEMALE , weigh 98kg. I have been told various things - some say that I should have a calorie intake of 1300 per day, others say 1500 per day. I do have a diet from my doctor - the diabetic diet but it is just a guidelone, and I would like to know the best calorie intake to lose weight. I have started exxercise - about 3 times a week 45mins.

Dear Mary-Ann
The general recommendation is that adult women who want to lose weight should reduce their energy intake down to 1500 kcal or 6300 kJ per day. Too drastic a reduction in energy intake can be counterproductive because the human body then switches off its weightloss systems. If you are going to do strenuous exercise you also require some energy to fuel your physical activity. I don't know what this diabetic diet you have received, is like, but if you are diabetic in addition to needing to lose weight, then you should consult a a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. If you are not diabetic or insulin resistant, then you could try using the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this Website (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).
Keep up the good work with the exercise.

2
Posted by: Kim | 2012/02/08

I am 48 year old female and weigh 88kgs. I am desperately seeking to lose weight. If I have All bran for breakfast, a salad with grilled chicken or Tuna for lunch and 3 small fruits inbetween the day. 4 cups of Green tea and 8 glasses of water as well as a salad for dinner. I exercise every evening on an exercise bike and try do 450 calories on it. How much should I lose in a week.

Reply to Kim

Dear Mary-Ann