Posted by: Miri | 2009-03-23

Diet for stomach fat

hi is there any foods known to cause a fat belly or known to cause it to be more difficult to loose a fat belly?

I have had 2 caesars and gained over 20 kg in both preg, i also have a hereditary fat stomach. I know that when i loose weight it does go down and am busy loosing slowly though. I dont want and realise i will never have a FLAT stomach i just need to loose the 94cm waistline i am currently carrying around esp since it puts me at a risk for other health issues. How much should my waist be i am 1.69m tall and 36 yrs old.

Any foods i can avoid or incl to really burn fat in this area?

Dear Miri
Basically fatty foods and highly refined sugars and starches as in cakes, pies, tarts, chocolate, etc and cold drinks sweetened with sugar, fruit juices, and alcoholic beverages tend to exacerbate fat deposition in the abdominal area. It is best to cut out all these foods and drinks and to concentrate on having a low-fat, energy-reduced and low-GI diet which contains plenty of fresh vegetables, low-fat or fat-free milk and dairy, legumes, very lean meat, fish and wholegrain cereals and breads with a low-GI. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. I can't say for sure what your waist measurement should be, but if you divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement the answer should not be more than 0,8 in women.
One of the most effective methods of stimulating your metabolism and burning energy is to do regular aerobic exercise (e.g. running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. Once you have lost an appreciable amount of weight you can then start doing targeted tummy exercises - ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of such exercises once you are more mobile.