Question
Posted by: Frankie Warren | 2010-08-30

Diet for Rhematoid Arthritis and high glucose

Hi, due to my rheumatoid arthritis I have been advised to cut potato, aubergines, peppers, cows milk and red meat out of my diet and eat more grilled fish. This I have done. Susequently I was told by my doctor that my glucose levels are a high normal, and I need to watch my sugar intake. Apart from the sugar I ingest in fruit, I eat only sugar-free products. My cholestrol levels are fine.
Although I have to keep my wieght down due to the RA, I feel I am losing too much. I had droped down to 75kg from 80 (I am 1.7m tall) and was happy, now I have continued losing weight until I am now 69Kg.
I have Kreemy meal or Tasty wheat for breakfast, two slices of wholegrain bread with ham for tea half a papino a pear and a large banana for lunch, two slices of wholegrain with chesse for tea, and grilled chicken, fish or pork with chips for dinner. I HATE vegetables. As a bed-time snack I will have a few prunes or raw unsalted nuts or a cereal snack bar.
I do a moderate amount of exercise, half an hour a day target upper body one day,also using light dumbelss, the next day tummy, back and thighs, doing resistance and stretch excercises only because of the RA.
Please advise what else I could use to at least maintain my weight.
By the way, I am a 59 year old lady.

Dear Frankie
I am sorry to hear that you have rheumatoid arthritis because this is a difficult condition to control and live with. Because you have multiple conditions (the RA and possibly insulin resistance or IR), I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" in the middle of the main page of the Website, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will take your RA, IR, medications and other conditions such as your weightloss, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) to counteract the IR. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. For example, you will need to eat a low-GI cereal for breakfast like Maximize with soy milk, low-GI bread instead of wholewheat, etc. The dietitian will also have to advise how you can keep your weight constant. Weightloss is a feature of RA when you have flare-ups and you need to know how to adjust your diet to compensate for your increased energy requirement. So do make an appointment as soon as possible with a dietitian.
Keep up the good work with your exercise which helps to keep you supple and mobile despite the RA.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-08-30

Dear Frankie