Question
Posted by: jen jen | 2008/07/17

Diet for pre-eclamsia

Hi. I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am picking up weight fast. I stopped smoking 5 months ago, so naturally I will gain. I also started eltroxin pills on 1 May 2008 - so again naturally i gained weight. I have just picked up 2 kgs in the last week. I went through the pre-eclamsia story with both previous pregnancies and they think it is likely that I will go through it again this time. So I need a healthy diet to help with pre-eclamsia and to try and control my weight. I am 1.54m and weighs 73 kgs already. My bone structure is also very heavy so it does not look that bad yet. I am still a very tight size 10. i basically picked up 14 kgs in the last 5 months. (3 was in the last 2 weeks). Please help!!!!!!!!!

Dear JenJen
Because of your pregnancy, the weight gain and your tendency to suffer from pre-eclampsia I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for the sake of your own health and that of your unborn child. The dietitian will work out a diet for you that prevents excessive weight gain during pregnancy, but still contains all the nutrients you and baby need. Recent research has indicated that increasing the intake of calcium during pregnancy can possibly help to prevent or reduce pre-eclampsia. Foods that are rich in calcium and not high in fat are fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese. The dietitian may also recommend the use of calcium supplements. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the article on pre-eclampsia.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy.