Posted by: neesh | 2008-12-08

Diet for polycystical ovaries

Hi Doc,

I am 33 years old and weigh 74 kgs, my gynae says I have polycystical ovaries and therefore I cannot concieve and having problems falling pregant and mainly the reason why I have irregular periods,

Please can u recommend a well balance diet for Polycystical ovaries as the gynae adviced my to loss 14 kgs to improve my chances of concieving, your help will be greatly appreciated as I am desprate to loss weight.

Thanks a million,

Dear Neesh
If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) and PCOS then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Hope you fall pregnant soon.

Posted by: LL | 2008-12-10

Your pcos cannot go away it can only be maintained not cured. The weight loss helps with the Insulin Resistance which might make it a little bit easier to conceive. Im 26 and have had IR pcos since the beginning.

Reply to LL
Posted by: neesh | 2008-12-09

Thank you for your advice, I require a diet that is balanced and i am not currently on any medication, my gynae advised that if I loss weight my PCOS will go away, please can u assist with a diet plan.

Thanks alot.

Reply to neesh