Question
Posted by: RedGrave | 2010/01/28

Diet for muscle building

I' ve just started a muscle training regimen and need some advice on what kind of diet I should be following. I have a wheat intolerance so I' m not sure how much influence that will have.

Thanks for any help

Dear RedGrave
To support muscle development you need to eat proteins (lean meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products plus legumes) and carbohydrates. The carbs are important because they have 2 functions: a) A 'protein-sparing' effect, and b) they provide the energy you require to be able to do the exercises you need to do to develop those muscles. Because you are wheat intolerant you will have to ensure that you eat plenty of the other carbs, which you are not allergic to (e.g. maize meal, sorghum, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, root vegetables, etc). If you allergy is only to wheat and you are able to eat carbs such as rye, barley and oats then you will have a great variety for selection. The latter 3 carb foods are not permitted on a gluten-free diet. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain more info on diets for sportsmen/women. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.
Good luck with the muscle training programme

1

Dear RedGrave