Question
Posted by: Daughter | 2008/07/23

Diet for Multiple Sclerosis

Hi there,

My mom has had Multiple Sclerosis for almost 20 years. She is not really mobile but makes do. She is always trying new diets and at the moment is on the Halleluja diet!!. What diet should she be following?

Dear Daughter
Because your dear Mom has tried so many different diets and is also relatively immobile, I would recommend that she should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to do a medical history and determine your Mom's activity level, to then work out an energy-reduced diet for her that promotes weightloss, but still provides her with all the nutrients she needs for good health despite the multiple sclerosis. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet.