Question
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/07/25

Diet for Insulin resistance

Hi doc Ingrid

I got this diet information on the internet: Therapeutic diet for Insulin Resistance:

Do you agree with the following statements:

Carbohydrates - the cause of the problem. Anything that taste sweet including artificial sweeteners may raise insulin levels, thus aggravating IR and perpetuating the cravings for sweets. Does this mean you must stay away from anything that taste sweet?

Almost no grain products like bread, pasta, cornbread, crackers and popcorn.

Whole grains like brown rice and rye, barley and buckwheat in very small portions.

Small amounts of fruit are ok but eat it with protein meals, not alone?????

This is the most important one that i am concerned about:
If you do not have a dairy allergy, some dairy is ok. Interestingly, the LOWER the fat in milk the MORE it raises the blood sugar, so low fat milk is worse than whole milk???? But the best is NO MILK. It raises the blood sugar too much, plus cows milk is for calves, not people.
AGGE NEE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Annemarie
You certainly like reading about nutrition! No I don't agree with any of the statements you read about on the Internet and as I have said before, the basic low-fat, low-GI diet that still allows you to eat foods from all the food groups has provided the best long-term results in large studies conducted all over the world. So stick to your basics, do your exercise and let these anticarb fanatics develop all the side-effects of a high-protein, high-fat diet.

1

Dear Annemarie