Question
Posted by: Zoliswa | 2011/03/10

Diet for HIV positive individual

What can they have to stay at their healthiest (combination)

Dear Zoliswa
If at all possible I would recommend that patients suffering from HIV should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a special diet prescription for the patient that helps him/her to gain weight and boosts the immune system, while taking the HIV into account plus any medications the patient may be taking. This is not something I can do for patients over the Internet. If the patient cannot see a dietitian, then they should please contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za for excellent information on diets for HIV. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' to find the article I wrote awhile ago on "Update on HIV/AIDS & Diet". Basically HIV-patients need to eat a high-energy diet that contains plenty of proteins, but because the HIV can cause problems with certain foods, they do need to have the assistance of a dietitian to monitor how they are progressing.

1

Dear Zoliswa