Posted by: Lynne | 2011-06-24

Diet for Great Dane

Hi I wonder if you could give me some idea as what to feed my Great Dane. He is 7 and has prostrate problems so needs to be on a soft food diet as he battles to pass stools. I want to cook his food for him and no longer feed him dry dog food and would appreciate some ideas on what to cook up for him. Previously I cooked a mixture of chicken/pets mince plus brown rice to mix with his food as well as giving him milk and one egg a week.Many thanks

Hi Lynne

There are many good sources of diets available though book stores and/or the internet. If you forward me your email address I will be able to send you some information directly.

What sort of prostatic problem does he have? If he has Benign Prostate Hyperplasia please consider castration or the administration of Megesterol Acetate or Oestrogens.

My email address is

Dr Campbell

Posted by: Chill | 2011-06-24

You need more than just ''some ideas'' if you''re going to do the best for your dog. Dog nutrition has become a very thoroughly researched subject, and it is almost impossible to replicate the scientifically-prepared commercial formulas at home. Certainly a combination of chicken/pets mince, rice, milk and egg is nowhere near adequate. Milk especially is something you should give only with caution, as some dogs lack the ability to cope with it digestively.

What I would recommend is that you talk to your vet about the best nutritional regime for your dog, given his special dietary needs. In the unlikely event that he agrees that the best thing would be to prepare your own stuff at home, then he must give you not only a guideline of the various ratios, but probably also a list of supplements to be added, to make sure your dog remains healthy as long as possible.

You are also confusing an intake of a dry dogfood with ''dry'' output - this is absolutely not logical or accurate. If the dog is battling to pass stools, your vet must advise you what to do about this. Depending on the dog''s current status, such as his weight/activity levels etc, he may suggest that you add some oil or other fat to assist with this problem.

Reply to Chill