Posted by: LABGIRL | 2008-11-10

I am 58 years old, and these days are feeling what I think a 85 year old should feel like ! I have a very responsible job from 8-4:30 and then also have a side-line business, which also keeps me quite busy. I used to not need a lot of sleep, but these days, I just can' t keep up with the late night working. I never go to bed before 11:30 (mostly later). I know I need to exersize, but never have the guts to just climb on my Health Walker. I used to enjoy it, but these days have no energy. I am on Estrofem 2 mg, Micardis 40 mg and hayfever tables and vit B co. Can you suggest a diet that will give me more energy or a supplement (but please not one that gives appetite !).
The worst time of the day is around 15:00. Thanx

Dear Labgirl
One of the facts of life is that one does tire more easily as you get older. From what you say, you are still working as hard as you probably did 10 or 20 years ago, if not harder (?) so it is not surprising that you get tired. Firstly I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if there is any underlying physical problem (iron-deficiency anaemia, hormone deficiencies) and/or psychological factors (anxiety or depression can sap one's strength totally). If you do have a medical or psychological problem then the dr will have to prescribe the necessary treatments. If you are given a clean bill of physical and psychological health, the ideal solutions are: a) eat a diet that is rich in protective nutrients (fresh fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and yoghurt, wholegrains and cereals, lean meat, fish (3 x a week), and poly- or monounsaturated fats and oils (in small quantities)), b) do 30 min of aerobic exercise a day - if possible go for brisk walks in the fresh air or use that Health Walker and give it a go for 30 min, - start slowly for short periods and increase the intensity and length of your exercise as you get fitter which will also make you feel more energised; c) get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, if not more and stop working at night; d) use a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn for 1-2 months instead of just the B-complex.
I hope you start feeling more rested and energetic.

Posted by: 58 | 2008-11-11

I am " labman"  also 58. We are getting older, and we are not what we use to be 30 years ago.
Scale down or get someone to help with the business.
Hope the doc is more helpful

Reply to 58