Question
Posted by: Alex | 2009-01-27

Diet for easter fast

I’ m Greek Orthodox and for Easter fast for 50days. A fast which consists of no meat, fish, chicken, eggs, milk, olive oil and alcohol. My concern is that I normally lose a lot of weight including muscle during these 50days. I exercise twice a day with cardio in the mornings and weights in the evenings. How can I carry on with my normal routine and still maintain without breaking my fast? Not sure if legumes, nuts and fruits are enough. Please help.

Dear Alex
Yes, legumes, nuts, fruits and vegetables are more than adequate foods to maintain good health, but if you are not allowed to have any milk, yoghurt or cheese then you may start developing a calcium deficiency. Consider taking a calcium supplement such as "MenaCal.7" which also contains vitamin D and vitamin K2. As for your energy requirements - you will have to ensure that you eat large quantities of grains, cereals, pasta, and other starches to fuel your exercise, plus plenty of nuts (which contain healthy fats), legumes for protein and fruit and vegetables to provide protective nutrients. To prevent muscle wasting and excessive weightloss stop doing your cardio exercise and only work with weights.
Wishing you well for your Easter fast