Posted by: callyboo | 2009-02-19

diet for crohn' s disease

I have crohn' s disease, have had it for 7 years. The disease is quite aggressive, and I' ve recently come off a course of cortisone after a major flareup. The conventional medication isn' t really effective, and I' d like to try to control it via diet. Do you have any suggestions?

Dear Callyboo
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from Crohn's disease which is a difficult condition to treat. I cannot believe that you have had this condition for 7 years and have not yet seen a clinical dietitian?? If you have never consulted a dietitian, now is the time to do so because diet does play an important role, but you need an individual diet prescription that is tailored to the present state of the disease, your medications and other individual factors. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, or ask your physician or surgeon to refer you.

Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-19

mail me
nunupie _ munchkin at yahoo dot com

Reply to Ang
Posted by: callyboo | 2009-02-19

Hi Ang,
I' ve tried many of your suggestions, but have largely found that much of it is trial and error... and that a fair amount is highly individual...
When I was originally diagnosed, I was given a diet, but it was quite inadequate. I did a lot of research, but found that my changes didn' t make much difference. Then again, my crohns is extremely aggressive. Nothing worked, not the anti-imflammatories, not the immune-suppressives, not the infliximab (usually the last resort before surgery), and have recently come off a trial / experimental drug called humira. Humira has just come onto the SA market, and my medical aid is still refusing to pay for it (while I was on the trial, the drug company provided it free)... it kept my disease stable enough for me to have a proper job, but now I' m off it, I' m dreading another flareup. I had a major flareup last november, and have only just come off the cortisone, so I' m really worried... If you' re keen on chatting, I' d be more than happy to get in contact and share what I' ve taken 7 years to learn...

Reply to callyboo
Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-19

My two years old has also recently been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (Which is crones but only in the colon) and is following a Crohns diet with a dietician to get the disease under control !
The first and most important RULE is to avoid all insoluble fibers. This is food that we are unable to digest, such as whole wheat bread, whole grain rice, ANY PIPS AND ANY PEELS (in other words, all fruit and veg must be peeled, and no pips). Also no nuts , beans must be pealed, only split pea’ s and split lentils. A tip she gave us was to put something in boiling water, and if it does not start dissolving then it’ s a big no no.
Also whole kern milies are out..
Nothing too spicy
Not more than a spoon of sugar with serving (no coldrinks etc)
Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
A lot of research has also shows that when you have an attack lactose can irritate the situation , so avoid or minimize lactose !
No pineapple, grapes or water melon allowed, sugar content too high !
No tomatoes, too acidic.
Good food to eat –  fatis and monis pasta as it is duram wheat.
Avoid wholewheat patsa, and wholegrain rice.
Let me know if you want to get in contact with each other, and we can share some ideas, I’ ve only been doing this for a week now !

Reply to Ang