Posted by: Anna | 2008-11-24

Diet for anti-depressants

Dear Doc,

I have heard (and experienced) that metabolism can be affected by certains meds such as anti-depressants - is there a diet/normal eating plan one can follow that will minimise the steady weight gain?

Dear Anna
It is a fact that some antidepressants can cause weight gain while others cause weightloss. At the same time depression is a condition that can be associated with pronounced weight gain or loss depending on the individual reaction of the patient. If you are steadily gaining weight then I would suggest that you discuss this problem with the dr who is prescribing your antidepressants because he/she may be able to change your medication or adjust the dose or determine if your depression is being well controlled. As regards a diet you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Doing aerobic exercise for at least 30 min a day will not only help for weightloss, but it also counteracts depression, so use it as a valuable tool to improve your weight and mood.

Posted by: jim | 2008-11-25

Hi There,

i am currently taking Prothioden, Cipramil and Quinilim and am finding it almost impossible to loose weight. I train 6 days a week for an intensive hour where i will on average burn 700 cals. I also eat very well and drink 2 - 3 lts of water a day.

Is the lack of weight loss due to the meds ????

Reply to jim