Question
Posted by: Baronise | 2010/11/12

DIET FOR ANAEMIC WARFARIN PATIENT

Dear Doc, my 72 year old mother recently (7 weeks ago) had surgery, developed pulmonary embolism post-op, was placed on warfarin, developed an acute abdomen and had abdominal surgery. She is still quite weak, diminished appetite and is now prone to motion sickness which brings about bouts of vomiting when travelling and light headed and dizziness leading to fainting spells. She has not seen a doctor since she has been discharged 4 weeks ago, but is has been suggested that she may be anaemic. She will be seeing the doctor next week.

My question, what can I feed her to assist with building up her strength and counter-acting the anaemia, which will not interfere with the warfarin.

Thank you very much.

Dear Baronise
I am so sorry to hear that your dear Mom has been so ill and has had so many setbacks. If she has iron-deficiency anaemia, then the following foods are good sources of readily available iron: liver, red meat, fish, poultry, eggs, iron-enriched breakfast cereals, maize meal, wheat flour and bread, as well as dried fruit like raisins. The meats and egg are also rich sources of vitamin B12. A vit B12 deficiency can also cause anaemia, so by serving these foods you will be boost your Mom's intake of both nutrients. None of these foods should interfere with the warfarin therapy. If your Mom's appetite continues to be impaired I would also recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can help you work out a diet prescription that takes all your Mom's problems into account.
I sincerely hope that you Mom soon starts to recover and to feel 100% better.

1

Dear Baronise