Question
Posted by: Aali | 2010/02/16

Diet for African Grey Parrot

Hi, I have an 8 month old African Grey. I am currently feeding him sunflower seeds (unshelled) with peanuts (also unshelled), mixed with some other smaller seeds. I also give him veg when we have, hard boiled egg and fruit (except banana and avo). Is this enough for him? Is there anything missing in his diet to ensure that he stays strong and healthy?

Dear Aali

I cant help you with this one but you should find plenty of advice on the net.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/02/16

Sunflower seed as the main constituent of his diet is inadequate. Get him a good brand of commercial parrot pellets. Good petshops and your vet should stock this. He may not like them straight away if he' s not used to them, but persevere because they contain essential nutrients.

He should only get one or two peanuts in the shell per day, as they are too oily to be fed ad lib.

For the rest, he should get a variety of fruits and vegs daily - fresh if possible, though my bird likes tinned peas, sweetcorn, baked beans etc. Give him a bit of carrot often, they need the vitamin A. Otherwise, apple, grapes, orange, guava, lychees, grenadilla (you don' t need to give him a whole one, they can be expensive), melon, strawberries, gooseberries - you name it. He can have banana too - not sure why you' re not feeding him that. But avocado should not be given, since it can cause problems with the heart muscle.

He will also like a bit of toast, with jam or cheese on it, an occasional cooked chicken bone, chillies (yes, the hot ones - they love those), a small piece of Marie biscuit, or ginger nut - he can eat lots of things, but avoid chocolate, excessive salt (my bird gets a Niknak now and then, but only one), alcohol, greasy stuff, raw potato, parsley, lettuce.

Also, make sure you remove all uneaten fresh food daily, because it ferments very quickly and also attracts insects.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/16

Dear Aali

Reply to Cybervet