Question
Posted by: Suraya | 2011-06-30

Diet for a vegetarian

I am a vegetarian (ovo-lacto), i have lactose intolerance as well but do eat yoghurts which dont seem to cause problem as i do need the calcium to strengthen my back. My question is i would like to lose atleast 3-4 kgs (i weigh 56 kgs and am 24 years old)
and would like a diet that will help me lose the few extra kgs that are sitting on my hips and bum. I have yoghurts and fresh fruit during the day for breakfast and lunch and supper i have rice and veggies or pasta and veg, i dont eat bread except once ad week. I exercise 3 times a week by walking for an hour on the treadmill. Could the lack of there carbs affect my energy when i wake up in the morning ? coz i always am tired and struggle to get up .

Dear Suraya
Individuals who suffer from lactose intolerance can usually tolerate yoghurt because the lactose (milk sugar) in milk is fermented by microorganisms and thus removed for all practical purposes from yoghurt. It is, therefore, excellent that you can use yoghurt because adult women require 1200 mg of calcium a day to prevent brittle bones in the present and osteoporosis in the future. I don't have a specific vegetarian slimming diet available on this Website for you, but if you basically reduce your fat intake (fat provides 37 kJ per gram compared to 16 kJ per gram provided by carbs and 17 kJ per gram provided by proteins), then you should be able to lose those 3-4 kg. You can certainly increase your carb intake by eating brown rice, high-bran cereal, and legumes (dry cooked or canned beans, peas, lentils and soy) to boost your energy levels so that you have more energy to exercise. One factor that may also contribute to your difficulty waking up is an iron deficiency which can cause anaemia. Please consider having a medical checkup to have your iron levels tested. The dr will prescribe the necessary iron and folic acid supplements if you should be anaemia. Once you feel more energetic you can increase your exercise tempo, which will encourage the weightloss.

2
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-06-30

Hi Suraya

I am also a vegetarian. The lack of carbs could def lead to you feeling tired and sluggish.

I eat a lot of the following, avo, boiled eggs, hummus, rye rolls, brown rice, frozen vegetables and vegetable soup, home made, kidney and chick peas. Also limit my dairy intake little bit of milk in my tea and either a bit of feta or piece of chocolate.

I also use irna paarmens sundried tomato and tomato chilly sauce and just add spinash, mushroom, onion and baby tomato in with brown rice or pasta.

Maybe you should give dietdoc a better idea of what you consume during the day esp if you exercise 3 times a week for so long.

Good luck.

Have you tried lentil burgers they are yummy and easy to make.

I went vegetarian and lost 4 kg''s by just cutting out meat.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-06-30

Dear Suraya