Question
Posted by: TKN | 2010/01/12

Diet for 3 yr old

Hi there.
My girl is 3yr old is an extremely fussy eater. She weighs 13.5kg. She will only eat Danone yoghurt, noodles and fozen vegetables (especially peas) She refuses to eat fish, meat or poultry, no matter how hard i make it look pretty or try to hide it.
I have tried everything. How can i get her to eat ?
She has a bottle of pediasure and a bottle of isomil 3 daily as well as a multivitman.
I am very worried about her not eating, sometimes she will not eat for an entire day or two.
PLEASE HELP

Dear TKN
Your lassie is not underweight for her age as International Tables list an average weight of 13 kg for 3-year-olds. You don't mention why she is given Pediasure? Did someone recommend its use to you? The fact that she has the Pediasure and the Isomil every day probably meets her nutritional needs and also fills her to the extent that she is not hungry. I would like to recommend that you have your lassie assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can assist you with a balanced diet for a 3-year-old based on normal foods and also guide you in weaning her off the supplements. Small children have small stomach capacities and need to eat small meals often. Taking liquid meal replacements and infant milk may be suppressing her appetite to such and extent that she has no space for other foods. The dietitian will also be able to determine if she is allergic or sensitive to fish and meat.

2

Thanks Diet Doc

I giver her the pediaure and isomil supplements just before bed if she hasnt eaten all day as i dont want her to go to bed on an empty stomach.

I will find a dietician.

Many thanks

Dear TKN