Question
Posted by: Jolene | 2010-04-08

Diet - eat to lsoe weight but need energy to exercise?!?!

Hiya Doc
I''m so confused. I only need to lose about 5kg and have been exercising vigorously for about a year now and while I''m not very fit and toned, Im not yet at my ideal weight (dietician says I can lsoe another 5-7kg).
I also eat really healthy. BUt alas - no weight loss.

I have also started doing lots more running and i do ltos of spinning and weights classes so i do mix it up and push myself. The problem i find is that while i try to limit my KJ so that i lose weight (energy in =energy out and all that), i often find i''m so tired at the end of the day that i worry i''m not getting the full benefit of my exercise.

I''m not a doctor so i don''t know how to work out a proper balanced diet for all the exercise i do and to be honest all the dieticians i have seen are so vague and their eating plans are no different to what i currently do.

I love exercise and the ''high'' after a long run and i want to do mrore and maybe add cycling etc as well, but i also REALLY want to lsoe weight and still have energy to do all this stuff.

What do you advise? :-)

HI Jolene

It's not too surprising that you wouldn't lose weight early on - happens to just about everyone. The reasons are numerous - you increase muscle mass, for example and so it "hides" any loss of fat you have had. Also, people's diets play a major role, and you've quite rightly identified a key problem.

The answer likely lies in two things - the timing of the meals, and the content of the meals. It's not necessarily about how much you eat, but what and when you eat. These are very precise things, and I think the best is to see a decent dietician (which seems hard to find, sadly!)

I can't be super-specific, since my expertise is not in the diet, and so I'm vague in the sense that I can say six smaller meals, focus on foods lower in GI and so forth. For the actual "recipe" you need a dietician, and you should get an eating plan. The dietician I know well always gives a specific eating plan, day by day, meal by meal, and so you might insist on it.

My advice in addition to this is to focus on getting fitter. if you get fitter and train more, then you'll lose weight, and it takes care of itself. So make the target a 10km race, or a cycle event, or just a time or level of fitness, and you'll do the right thing!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-04-14

HI Jolene

Reply to fitnessdoc