Question
Posted by: Poppy | 2009-09-16

Diet drinks

Hi Diet Doc
Thank you for a great forum - I consult it often and really appreciate your replies.
Please let me know whether its bad to drink a 500ml diet cooldrink e.g. Coke Light or Sprite Zero on a daily basis. Its the only thing besides water, rooibos and 2 cups of coffee that I drink but lately I' ve been having them daily and I' m worried that the sweetners are not healthy. I' m trying to lose 3kg - will this impact my diet if drunk daily?
thank you!

Dear Poppy
Thank you for your kind words - they make my day which has been rather exhausting. The use of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame has been declared safe by an international body of experts from most major countries around the world. You can read the article I wrote on this subject, by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then doing a search with 'Aspartame' to find the article on 'The Aspartame Controversy'.
This should not affect your weightloss either.