Question
Posted by: Rosie | 2010/02/12

Diet dreads

Hi Doc,
Please help. I' ve been on a diet which cuts out all carbs. I lost 9 kg but picked it all up once I started to deviate from the diet. I' m now trying to lose it again but desperatly want to have a permanent plan. For the last 4-6 weeks I' ve been eating kellogs/weetbix/otees with low fat milk for breakfast, a banana at 10h, 2 boiled eggs at 12:00, an apple at 15:00 and salad for supper. I started to loose a bit but once again, once I deviate from that and eat carbs, I pick up. So now I' m going to eat oats for breakfast, 2 or 3 fruits a day, a healty fruit/nut snack, a sandwich or salad for lunch and something healthy for supper but I' m not going to exclude my carbs totally. Will I now be picking up weight in the beginning as I' m eating more than I did before and will I loose weight in the long run? Are these portions too much/ not healthy? I also exercise at least 4 times a week. What do you recommend?

Dear Rosie
As you may have noticed, I am not in favour of a zero-carb, high-protein diet because as you have experienced this type of diet does cause weightloss, BUT slimmers tend to pick up all the weight they have lost in record time plus additional weight. So what you actually need is a diet with a reduced energy content that includes carbs, protein and even some fats. Good results are obtained with moderately energy-reduced, low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diets. The latter allow the intake of carbs provided they are low-GI, low-fat and also in most cases have a high dietary fibre content. The diet you suggest already leans towards a low-GI diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. I would also recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian, to assist you with a low-fat, low-GI diet. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
Also consider adding regular exercise for 30 min a day to your regimen.

3
Posted by: X | 2010/02/16

You do know that oats, wheatbix, otees and Kellogs (all products) are also carbs? In fact, except for the oats, they are some of the worst carbs that you can eat since they are invariably high GI and wreak havoc with your bloodsugars early in the morning already.

I also like Otees, but I have it (only a small portion) with full cream milk and a large handful of raw almonds - this counteracts the high-GI impact of the refined grains it is made off to some extend and instead of getting hungry two hours later (as when I have it with low fat milk and maybe a banana) I only get hungry about 5 hours later...

You don' t have to eat no / low carb (althouh our bodies certainly do not NEED complex carbs such as cereals, bread, potatoes etc.), but ALWAYS balans carbs with protein and fat. Both of which help to stabilise blood sugars and the last (fat) also helping to stabilise blood insulin levels.

Reply to X
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2010/02/12

Try weighless. Thats the best diet as far as I am concerned. Teaches u to eat the correct way and portion sizes and includes all the food groups. U cant go without carbs, it fuels your body. Also drink alot of water, helps with weight loss

Reply to Tinkerbell

Dear Rosie