Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-12

Diet cokes

I drink my alcohol with diet coke but i have put on so much weight arount the waste area. What is causing the weight gain, the alcohol or diet coke and why? i have also had my sugar tested and my sugar levels are fine. How can i reduce the weight gain without cutting out alcohol completely of cause?

Dear Diet Cokes
Alcohol is unfortunately high in energy providing 29 kJ per gram, which is second only to fat which provides 37 kJ per gram. According to the SA Food Tables alcohol like brandy, whisky, and other spirits contains 1044 kJ per 100 ml, so for each tot of 30 ml you ingest 313 kJ. You don't mention if you have more than one drink a day, but you can work out for yourself how this will add up if you have multiple drinks every day of the week. The diet coke should not contain any energy. As mentioned, fat is also high in energy, so if you can restrict your alcohol intake to one tot a day with a diet mixer and also reduce your fat intake (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min day, this should help you to lose weight all round. You can also do targeted exercises like sit-ups for the waist area.