Question
Posted by: Alida | 2011/03/28

diet - breastfeeding

Please tell me on which diet can I go whilest breatsfeeding, that will not be bad for my baby? He is 5 months now

Thx
Alida

Dear Alida
Congratulations on the birth of your baby and well done that you are breastfeeding. This is the best thing you can possibly do for you child which will have a positive effect on his health and weight for the rest of his life.
I would not recommend the use of ANY slimming pills or potions, including the herbal ones, when you are breast feeding because some of the ingredients which may even be addictive may pass into your breast milk and affect your baby. Fad diets and very-low-energy diets are also taboo when you are breastfeeding. Rather reduce your fat intake moderately by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise such as taking baby for a walk in the fresh air every day for at least 30 minutes. Please add 2 extra servings of low-fat milk or yoghurt (1 serving = 1 cup) or fat-free cottage cheese (1/2 cup) to the above mentioned diet to ensure that you and baby obtain sufficient calcium for both your needs. It is also a good idea for breastfeeding Moms to take a source of omega-3 fatty acids because omega-3 helps the brain, eyes and nervous system develop. You can buy salmon oil capsules at your chemist or health shop, to provide you with omega-3.
Enjoy the baby

1

Dear Alida
Enjoy the baby