Question
Posted by: Christopher | 2008/06/04

Diet assistance

Morning, Hope all is good and well with you...

I have a problem regarding my diet. I would like to get into the low single didgets regarding fat loss but at the same time, increase my lean muscle. I go to gym during my lunch break 5 days a week, and 3 days a week I have evening activities, so I push heavy as well as implement quite a bit of cardio into my lifestyle. An example of my daily diet is...
6am- Allbran, milk and whey.
8:30am- Meal replacement (41g protein/ 47g carbs approx 388calories)
11am- brown & wild rice with lean mince (approx 40g carbs from my rice) or durem wheat pasta instead of rice.
after gym- double serving of whey (50g protein) & 3x servings Game (approx 60g carbs)
3pm- tin of dry tuna & 10 provitas
5-5:30pm - Meal replacement as above
sometimes 6:30pm- Small glass of pure orange juice & serving whey (25g protein) before evening activity (starts 7-7:30)
Post workout- 1 1/2 serving Game & serving Whey.
9:30- 3 pieces of steamed hake & serving steamed broccoli & other veg.
Before bed (approx 11pm) serving whey
sometimes at 2am, serving whey...

My confession is that my water intake is poor as well as my fats and sleep. I think that perhaps this could be why I battle to lose fat in increase muscle. I've always been big into my training and tried to eat clean for a while. I've been on this diet for over a month now with no cheats (except on weekends I dont eat as much, maybe miss one or 2 meals) I would like to achieve great amounts of fat loss as well as increase my lean muscle substantially. I'm 23 and weigh 97kg's at about 15% BF. I have always battled to lose fat and build muscle, despite my efforts over the years. I am not fat, just with to have a lean stocky build.
Your help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris...

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Chris

There is not enough detail for me to give you an exact answer thus I have based it on some assumptions.
I presumed you would want to weigh 100kg – mostly muscle! I presumed you burn 3000 calories per week with your training – that equates to 428 per day and I presumed you burn only 120 calories for daily activity which equates to 2900. You must increase this amount should you burn more during your training and if you’re are quite active in what you keep yourself busy with every day.

From the info you gave me the following:
• You eat almost a balance between your carbs and protein.
• You are consuming half less fat than you should and the problem is that there are no GOOD fats in your diet – good fats are natural fat burners!
• If my assumptions are correct ito your food you are consuming about 3500 calories – this could be too much for what you are expending – I only calculated 2900 calories, but you might be training much harder than I assumed.
• Your post-workout regime is great – you could in fact mix it up and start drinking it during your training.

Thus in conclusion you biggest problem is your lack of good fats. I also see very little vegs and no fruit – where are you getting your micronutrients from? Lastly, consuming too little water is a major problem as most metabolic functions of the body needs water to work properly – you will need to make a plan – drink a small bottle of water with each meal – create a habit.

I have included a diet sheet for 3100 calories to give you an idea what a balanced diet should look like. It contains 20% fat of which more is good fat.

I hope this help otherwise contact me again and GOOD LUCK!

Vanessa

BREAKFAST
1 C milk - 2% or Yoghurt
1 C of Cereal Mix - WW Pronutro / Big Flake Oats/ Hi- F Bran

1.5 Scoops whey

BEFORE & DURING TRAINING
Energy Drink e.g. game with whey - drink 1/3 before training & rest during training (every 15 minutes)

IMMEDIATELY AFTER TRAINING - max 45 mintues after training
Same as above – complete your drink – in total to give you about 60 carbs and 10 protein
Myoplex - with water or your meal replacement shake

LUNCH
200 g Meat / 2 Chicen Br / 1 Tin Tuna / 2 x 200 g FF Cottage Ch / 12 Egg Whites (2 yolks)
1 C Rice & Lentils / Sweet P / Baked Beans / Chic Peas / Barley (1,5 C)
WW Pasta (2,5 C) - al dente /3 WW or Rye Bread / Potatoes (1C) / Cous Cous (2C)
(The carbs feature in sequence of best to worst choice ito Glycemic Index)
2 C of Salad or 1 C Veggies
(Best is broccoli/beans/cauliflower/mushrooms/asparagus/marrow)(1/2 C peas/corn)(1 C Butternut=hi GI)
(The Salad option can be as simple as a chopped tomatoe and cucumber or grated carrots or beetroot)
1/2 Avo / 10 Nuts/ 3 t Olive oil/ 6 t Peanut Bt/ 6 t Seeds (Mix: lin, sunflw, sesame, pumpkin)

BEFORE & DURING TRAINING

DINNER
1/2 C Rice & Lentils / Sweet P / Baked Beans / Chic Peas / Barley (3/4 C)
WW Pasta (1 1/4 C) - al dente /1,5 WW or Rye Bread / Potatoes (1/2C) / Cous Cous (1C)
4 C of Salad or 2 C Veggies
1/2 Avo/10 Nuts/ 3 t Olive oil/ 6 t Peanut Bt/ 6 t Seeds (Mix: lin, sunflw, sesame, pumpkin)

SNACK
1 C milk - 2%
1.5 Scoops whey

4 x Omega 3 (Salmon Oil Capsules)

(Each tin of Cooldrink or Juice constitutes 37.5 Carbs = 2,5 slices of Bread - Rather drink Diet Cooldrinks or
Low Calorie Cordials and rather eat a fruit (20 Carbs) than drink fruit juice)

1
Posted by: s | 2008/06/19

You need to drink water whenever you have fibre eg with your bran, also drink 500ml when you wake up - you body hasnt had liquid for 6 - 8 hours.
I also try to substitute some carbs with a few vegs eg with my tuna or instead of rice.
Not sure what Vanessa thinks but it seems your protein is +300g which is high vs body weight - whey is fast absorbing so if it isnt used it will be stored as fat - other protein shakes contain a range of proteins which are absorbed at different rates ie better for you.

I am 100kg train 1 - 2 times a day but dont consumes as many kj as you. Off hand I would say drink more water (dont overdo it) and drink less whey protein - even 200g protein per day is more than what is needed.

Also ensure your body does "rest" enough to repair itself
I take my fats via a selection of seeds which I grind in a coffee grinder and then add to my oats

Reply to s