Question
Posted by: wenz | 2010/11/25

diet and weight loss

hi,
i have recently picked up going to the gym agian with the aim of loosing a couple of kilos. i do not diet but eat sensibly and have 3 meals a day with snacks in between. the problem i have is i drink a lot of 100% juice and very little water. i also eat a lot of grapes and fruit on top of the meals i have. my question is: can the amount of sugar& /calories i am consuming from these fruits and juice hamper my weightloss? i love grapes, mangoes, apricots and prunes and now being their season i just go crazy but i worry that i am consuming too many calories. i go to the gym 3-4 times a week for aerobics class ranging from midium to high intensity

Dear Wenz
Any food, no matter how healthy, has the potential to cause weight gain if by eating such a food in excessive quantities you increase your energy intake to above your daily requirement. Recent research into the effect on the sugar fructose has indicated that if you ingest too much fructose this can lead to obesity. Thus I would recommend that you reduce your intake of 100% fruit juice and dilute the fruit juice you do drink with water or soda water to prevent you from overloading with fructose. Eating fruit should have less of a weight-gaining effect because the fruits contain some dietary fibre, but once again it is important not to overdo your intake. Moderation is always the key, even for very healthy foods.
Hope this helps with the weightloss

1

Dear Wenz
Hope this helps with the weightloss