Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2011-03-09

Diet and Studying

I am currently studying and also on a low calory and low Gi diet, I make sure that i eat 1200-1400 calories a day but i sometimes get headache and it makes it difficult for me to study. When i try to eat more then the headache goas away...!
Is there any way i can norish my mind without consuming too much energy?

Dear Lucy
If your headache disappears when you eat, then this indicates that it is probably being caused by low blood sugar. I think that the energy content of your slimming diet is too low - increase the kcal intake to 1500 kcal per day. Then you will need to divide your food intake up into 6 small meals a day to ensure that your brain is always supplied with some glucose. If you find that it is too difficult for you to work out this type of 6 meal diet, then if possible please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you figure out what you need to eat and when. I don't know what you eat for breakfast at the moment, but let's say you have a low-GI, high-fibre cereal and low-fat milk or yoghurt and a fruit, then to divide this meal up, you can have the cereal and half the yoghurt for breakfast and eat the other half of the yoghurt and the fruit at 10 am. I hope this helps.

2
Posted by: Lucy | 2011-03-10

Thank you very much for the reply.

regards

Reply to Lucy
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-09

Dear Lucy