Question
Posted by: Lynette | 2008-11-18

Diet and Probiotics

I suffer from frequent yeast infections and have just started using Probiflora 9 strain hoping it will help resolve/prevent the problem.' My question is:Is there any specific pro-biotic diet I can follow that will help at all, or any foods i should eat more of or avoid?
Lynette

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Lynette
You can try a probiotic product called Vagiforte – a probiotic designed more for this exact indication.
If that is not effective, I suggest that you get a course of medicine (antifungal) which will hopefully clear the infection BUT keep taking the probiotic (9 strain) as a daily supplement ongoing.
My theory is that probiotics may have difficulty “treating” a rampant infection BUT once treated they can prevent recurrence in sensitive patients, so it is important to keep taking them.
Unfortunately science in this area is new and to my knowledge only select strains of probiotic which are not available in SA currently, actually colonise (grow in ) the vagina. In all other cases, the probiotic activity is aimed at reducing the candida load in the gut and thereby reducing re-infection rates.
Women have used natural yoghurt as a vaginal douche with some success.
Diet; try to reduce foods high in sugar, refined carbohydrates etc.

2
Posted by: Jane | 2008-11-27

I have phoned the company who makes Probiflora 9 strain and they gave me a anti - candida diet to follow its just guidelines but it really helped me! their number is 011 794 6785

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Aan | 2008-11-27

You are on the right track...keep using the 9 strain and cut out bread and sugar from your diet! Drink plenty of water it really works!

Reply to Aan