Question
Posted by: Woolly | 2009-04-14

Diet and PMT

I started weigh-less about 2 weeks ago and have done very well so far.

I haven' t cheated at all and am sticking to the diet to a T, except that i noticed I am not taking in my fat allowance as I should (just because it happens to work out that way!). I can' t say I have been avoiding it on purpose....

My period is due and I have the worst PMS I have had in years. I was wondering whether my change in diet has something to do with this. I don' t quite understand how as I' m eating healthier and drinking loads more water. Surely it should be benefiting me.

My breasts are swollen, EVERYTHING is swollen and I' m weighing tomorrow. I' m worried the scale won' t show a loss, but I guess I' ll have to deal with it (I know I deserve a good loss).

I went and bought some tissue salts to relieve some of the symptoms... guess we' ll see if it helps.

Dear Woolly
It is possible that your diet is making the PMS worse. Just hang in there when they weigh you this time and don't get upset if you weigh more because of water retention. If you are taking in too much liquid (including water) (i.e. more than 2,5 litres/day) then you may be suffering from an electrolyte imbalances that can cause water retention, so please be careful not to overdo your water and/or liquid intake. Just because a moderate amount of liquid is beneficial does not mean that excessive intakes are good - in fact they can be most detrimental.
Moderation is the key. Click on on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 57 'PMS and diet' to obtain tips on what you can do to prevent these PMS symptoms.
Hang in there