Question
Posted by: Georgia | 2010/03/16

Diet and Hypothyroidism

Dear Doc

Over the last 3 years I have gained 12 kg but was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am on medication for this plus hypertension and cholesterol. I am aged 52, currently weigh 68 kg and am 1.64 m tall. I was a very active person and am still fairly active, but can''t seem to budge the weight. What diet and excercise program should I try to follow to ensure some positive results? I had joined a weighless program with some success, but I travel extensively and am away for long periods at a time, so it is difficult to maintain.

Dear Georgia
It is essential that you take your thyroid hormone medication as prescribed by the dr at all times. Your present BMI = 25 which is just still within the normal range. For an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 59 kg, thus a loss of 9 kg. Because you have multiple problems, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian to assist you with the DASH Diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp. This diet is low in fat and sodium which will respectively assist with weightloss and lower your bp and cholesterol. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, so that she/he can explain how to apply the DASH Diet even when you are away from home. Also ask your dr who is treating you for the hypertension and cholesterol what type of exercise you are allowed to do. If the dr gives permission for you to do an exercise like going for brisk walks then please try to fit in some walking every day, but only if your dr approves.

1

Dear Georgia