Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2012/10/30

diet and hypothroidism

I have been walking/jogging for the past two months twice a day for an hour. I have hypothroidism, diabetes(type 2) and on cholesterol medication. Which food can aide in my weight loss and also to combat the diabetes and high cholesterol. Better yet, which food should I avoid?

Dear Sharon
Because you suffer from multiple health problems (hypothyroidism, type 2 diabetes and raised cholesterol plus possible weight gain), I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as the overweight, hypothyroidism and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
The fact that you are walking. jogging twice a day for an hour is wonderful as this will help you lose weight and also to control your blood sugar and insulin levels.

1

Dear Sharon