Question
Posted by: Lizz | 2010/06/04

diet and exercise

I have been at the exercise and diet thing for almost 2 weeks now. I eat a balanced diet like you explained to me and I exercise most days of the week about 3-5 days. I swim for about an hr (+/- 2km) and when I can''t swim I skip, step and/or use light weights.

The thing is I am exhausted. I am suppose to study but I realy have a hard time concentrating too, and my memory is terrible(this has always been the case, just worse now). I am takeing Manna, which is a Galactomannan supplement to help regulate my blood sugar, I find it realy works for me. I struggle with low bloodsugar.

I was thinking of Vit B injections, do you think this would help me. I have 24kg to loose, I have lost about 3kg sofar. I am monitoring my BF% more than weight but it is too soon to check that again.

Dear Lizz
You did not mention that you suffer from low blood sugar before and that changes a great deal when it comes to the advice I would give you for losing weight! If you have low blood sugar then you can't just use any slimming diet, because as you have already experienced, this leaves you feeling totally knocked out, unable to think straight and too tired to exercise. Is there any chance that you could consult a dietitian? If yes, then visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You are supposed to use a low-fat, low-GI (glycaemic index) diet and exercise to lose weight if you have low blood sugar. It will also help to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3. Now the application of the low-fat, low-GI diet is a bit tricky to get used to at the beginning and this is where it is so useful to get help from a dietitian who can guide you through the initial stages. To read more about low-GI, click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index'. You can also visit the website of The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. These books are not expensive. The thing is that if you use this low-GI diet you won't get so dreadfully tired and your brain will work more efficiently because it won't be starved of glucose, and you will lose weight. So give it a try.

2
Posted by: Lizz | 2010/06/05

Thanks Doc,

I will give all the information you gave me first a try, if I see things don''t get better I will definately see a Dietician. I love exercise and the main reason I have never been able to loose weight sucessfully was the exhaustion, i can only keep the exercise with diet up for so long. I have also realise that I don''t loose weight if I don''t exercise, it does not matter what I eat or don''t eat. If I don''t exercise I normaly will stay the same or not loose any weight, rather demotivating.

The other reason I have not seen a dietician is the fact that, other than the doctor that diagnosed me in the first place (whom left), most medical practitioners seems to ignore Hypoglycemia as a non diabetic condition. Almost like I imagine everything! Even during pregnancy my Blood sugar was low but it was treated as a good thing.

Reply to Lizz

Dear Lizz