Question
Posted by: JORG | 2010/07/13

diet and diabetes

recently i was diagnosed with diabetis. i went to an NGO for advise and saw diabetic educator''s for advise on living with the condition. my medical aid is part of programm with cetre for diabites and endicronologie,so i joined there progamm and shedules for people living with diabetes. now my question being educated by different people means there could be a conflict of opinion.for example the diet and which one to follow because one recommends low gi and healthy living the other one cutting out fat''s and sugar completly und counting what you eat and when.
what should i do?

thank you

Dear Jorg
I can understand that you are feeling confused. My advice would be to use the low-GI diet and healthy living as this type of regimen has been proven to give excellent results with diabetes. I would also be happier if you could consult a dietitian because every diabetic patient requires an individual diet prescription which would vary depending on a whole number of factors such as age, type of diabetes (type 1 or 2), fitness, additional conditions such as overweight or hypertension, etc. If at all possible try to consult a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that you can obtain an individual diet prescription. In the meanwhile Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission. You can also contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the low-GI diet.

1

Dear Jorg