Question
Posted by: Sue | 2012/10/30

Diet and Cholesterol

Hi. I eat a small amount of Mueslie and yoghurt with a teaspoon of honey for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch and protein and salad most nights. If I eat carbs, it is gluten free pasta or rice. I drink 2 cups of coffee a day and rooibos tea - both with no sugar, the latter with no milk. I never touch alcohol, cigarette, fruit juices, sugar, sweets, cakes etc as I do not have a sweet tooth and yet my cholesterol is 9.8 and I am 10kg overweight. I gym 3 - 4 times a week. I am 54 years old - HELP!

Dear Sue
Raised blood cholesterol levels can be due to a genetic tendency which in some cases does not react to dietary intervention and may need to be treated with cholesterol-lowering medications such as statins. Discuss this aspect you with your doctor. Because you say that you are also 10 kg overweight, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will need to design a diet for you that assists with lowering your cholesterol levels and helps you lose weight too, but that does not cause deficiencies (for example, you may have a calcium deficiency is you never drink milk and only have one serving of yoghurt per day. Calcium deficiencies can lead to osteoporosis particularly after the menopause).
Keep up the good work with the exercise, as this helps to control body weight and to combat osteoporosis.

1

Dear Sue