Question
Posted by: jane | 2013-02-04

diet and breastfeeding

is there a diet i can follow and loose weight while breastfeeding? i need to loose the baby fat but i also want to breastfeed last time i breastfed my daughther i was more hungry than usual and as a result ate more and gained weight, pls assist+11

Dear Jane
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. By breastfeeding you are giving your child the very best start in life and also preventing future problems in the baby's life such as overweight and allergies. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to provide you with a balanced energy-reduce diet that still provides all the nutrients that you need and that are essential for your baby to develop normally. Combine the diet provided by the dietitian with an exercise such as going for brisk walks with baby every day to stimulate your metabolism. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Eating throughout life' to read the articles on 'Pregnancy and Breastfeeding'.

1
Posted by: Zam | 2013-02-05

Hi Jane

I know you asking the dietdoc but i thought i could give some advice.

Try Weighless. They have an intervention card/menu for breastfeeding mummies. You would eat slightly more carbs, protein etc than someone on a normal formula. I m likeyou breastfeeding does not reduce my weight...i gain instead. Good luck

Reply to Zam