Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2012-03-07

Diet and body

Hi Diet Doc,

Thank you for your reply. I also include all bran in my breakfast routine every now and again, I will often go from having oats for 2-3 weeks and then swap to bran for one week, or have bran twice a week and then oats for the remainder for this reason. I do however try to limit my intake of wheat due to its high gluten content. Are there any other suggestions you have for really high fibre breakfast cereals that are gluten free?

My multivitamins are vitamin A free. Are there any other improvements to my diet (see below) you could suggest for my constipation, bloating, sluggishness, exhaustion etc?

For breakfast for example, I always start off with a very high fibre cereal. This is almost always unrefined oats which have 13g of fibre per 100g. I have this with a mixture of water and milk and also add a few different types of fruit in the mixture. This is usually any 2 or 3 of: banana, dates, figs, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, tangarine, raisins etc and I also add a handful of sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds in the mix too.

Mid morning I then usually have a pear and apple etc to keep me going until lunch and snack on more seeds and/or dried fruit as I have a very big appetite. Lunch is usually a fish salad, or a bean soup or leftover dinner stir fry vegetables (onions, peppers, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, garlic, mixed beans (aduki beans, pinto, black eyed peas etc), peas etc) with chicken or lean beef and pasta or rice with a low salt sauce or my own sauce made from chopped tomatoes and herbs or a low salt stock, or a jacket potato with beans or vegetables. Dinner is usually as above, or a curry with the above vegetables, potato, salad, cheese). I do also eat pitta bread a few times a week, but not actual bread.

I also drink about 4 cups of weak tea with milk and no sugar a day, and about 3/4 litres of fluid, usually water but also a glass of fruit juice a day. I then also have a yoghurt with acidophilus, and sometimes a couple of dark chocolate digestive biscuits after my dinner!

I also take capsule supplements of evening primrose oil, cod liver oil, a multi vitamin, digestive enzymes and a probiotic. I also take husk in sachets as I suffer heavily with constipation and bloating.

Thank you,
Lauren.

Dear Lauren
I did say that I thought your diet was excellent and mention that oats contain one kind of dietary fibre, namely soluble fibre, that is mainly used to lower blood cholesterol levels, while Insoluble dietary fibre which is found in wheat bran, is the prime anti-constipation fibre. The dates, figs, raisins and seeds should promote excellent regularity. If you are still feeling so constipated and bloated, I can only suggest that you consult a physician because you may be suffering from other health problems such as IBS or hypothyroidism which could account for your symptoms and which will not necessarily respond to dietary treatment on their own.
I hope you can pinpoint what is making you feel so sluggish.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-03-07

Dear Lauren